If you are a manager or human resources professional, you may be aware of the numerous benefits of an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the procedure for how someone can access services. The days when the EAP was only about drug and alcohol abuse are long gone. Nearly every concern your employees may have can be addressed through your EAP program. Through our Workplace Outcomes Suite, we are also able to see positive results in the areas of absenteeism, presenteeism, work engagement, life satisfaction and workplace distress.
Here are some of the other EAP services you may be able to offer your staff, as well as an example to provide to your employees:
- Legal consultation: You are going through a separation, which may lead to divorce proceedings. The EAP can connect you with an attorney for a free 30-minute consultation, telephonically or in-person. If you decide to retain the attorney, there is a 25% discount off the normal hourly rate.
- Child care resources: You are looking for a quality day care program that is close by your house, but also affordable. The EAP can assist you in locating child care centers in your neighborhood, as well as answer general questions you may have about this topic.
- Financial planning: You are behind in your bills, have several credit cards that are maxed out and you do not know how you are going to pay your next bill. The EAP can connect you with a financial specialist for a free consultation.
- Wellbeing assistance: You want to lead a more balanced, healthier and happier life. The EAP provides access to articles and a self-assessment test to improve yourself within each of the five wellbeing domains – physical, career, social, financial and community.
- Simple will kit: You are looking to create a “simple will”, but you don’t know where to start. The EAP can assist you by sending you a kit, along with providing consultation and answer questions related to this process.
- Elder care resources: Your elderly father is starting to get forgetful, he’s physically weak and you are unable to provide him with the assistance he needs. The EAP can help you find resources to assist with your father’s care needs.
- Tobacco cessation assistance: You have been smoking for years and have tried to quit more times than you can count. The EAP provides a tobacco cessation program that includes telephonic coaching and a workbook to specifically address your goals to help you succeed.
- Identity theft kit: You believe that your online identity has been stolen and you do not know what to do. The EAP can review your credit report to find inaccurate information, develop a plan of action to protect you in the future and provide an Identity theft solutions kit.
- Online information and assessment: You want to learn more about whether or not you have a problem, but you are not ready to talk to someone about it yet. The EAP website provides access to educational articles, webinars and videos on these and other topics, as well as self-assessment tests that can help you determine if you need to seek help for a number of issues.
What are your thoughts? Do you have any personal stories you are willing to share? Please feel free to ask questions or share your experiences below.
Jeremy joined Empathia (then NEAS) in 2007. As an Account Manager, he manages a variety of EAP accounts and also oversees our social media sites. His previous roles here were as Manager, Client Care Services, as well as Sales Consultant. Prior to joining Empathia, he spent 14 years in the EAP industry in a variety of managerial and operational roles. Jeremy holds a Masters in Management; he is a certified wellness coach and a Certified Employee Assistance Professional (CEAP). Jeremy has also assisted in numerous disaster response mass casualty events as a Phone Counselor, Call Center Manager, and Manifest Coordinator. He enjoys reading, photography, music, and spending time with his wife and daughters.