The last few years have been a reminder that no matter how hard we try, it’s impossible to predict the future. Sometimes our hopes and dreams are overtaken by larger world events.
Whether you are worried about how to make ends meet during a time of inflation or are struggling to adjust to life changes or anxiety about the future, these steps may help:
- Be honest. Many of us are taught to put a positive spin on tough times. While there are many benefits to positive thinking, it’s okay to admit that you are feeling scared or uncertain. Talk to a friend or counselor or express your feelings in a “worry” journal.
- Let go. “Radical acceptance” is the process of letting go of how you wanted things to be and accepting what actually is. Mindful meditation may be helpful in becoming more adept at staying grounded in the present.
- Stick to a routine. Maintaining a daily schedule will help you stay on task and keep worry at bay.
Surround yourself with positive people. Life is easier with friends who make you laugh and support you in difficult moments.
- Skip the mental rehearsal. It’s easy to fall into the habit of jumping straight to the worst-case scenario. Instead, focus on what you can control. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, make a to-do list and prioritize it in order of importance.
- Avoid negativity. If you are feeling stressed because of the news or what is on your social media feed, step away. Instead of “doom scrolling,” devote that time to exercise or a relaxing activity.
Source: Life Advantages